From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 09:07:39 -0700
--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In fact, Gypsies themselves seem to have invented the word, almost as a joke,
> to suggest that they originated in Egypt (which, for the most part, they did
> not).  Some groups, but not all, prefer "Romany," while many others prefer
> "Gypsy" both to describe their particular culture and as a general term to
> cover all the varied subgroups--Rom, Romnichels, Ludar, etc.  As one might
expect, precision in the nomenclature is difficult and confusing, and "Romany"
does not necessarily encompass all Gypsies.

Oh wow. I never knew that. I have always hear that it was mildly derogatory
sort of like "Indian" for Native Americans.

> But preferences for the names by which a group identifies itself can change
> over time.  For all I know, there may indeed be a movement among Gypsies to
> reject the term.  "Afro-American," for example, is considered dated and no
> longer preferred, and has given way to "African American" (without a hyphen).
> Library of Congress subject headings have been altered to reflect this usage.
> "Negro" went out decades ago.

While "Negro" is definitely out, I've seen "Afro-American" still used a bit
here and there and sometimes by African Americans themselves. Personally, and
no offense meant to African Americans, but I find that term a bit misleading as
I have friends who are white "Africans" who immigrated here from Zimbabwe
several years ago. One of them grew up there and the other moved there when she
was very young. I also know several white South Africans who are also,
technically "African" not to mention people from Morocco and Algeria who are
from the continent of Africa but of Moorish ethnicity (I think that's the
correct term for the people in Northern Africa). Then there is my Black friend
from France who is "White" according to most ethnic questionnaires - "Of
European Descent".

So by trying to lable people, sometimes we make it more confusing. :)

Deb