From:
Stephen Topfer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:24:32 -0700
Stacy,

Collins did publish a pamphlet specifically addressing  the
differences between profit and not for profit after the book came out
to try and answer this very question. Personally I found that the
book dealing with for profit business was more helpful and in my view
a reasonable model for us to aim for, though issues such as board
management, low sector wages etc do complicate matters.

Has the makings of an interesting discussion.

Stephen

At 12:56 PM 22/10/2007, you wrote:

>Good to Great's Right People on the Bus vs. Training the Troops
>
>I've just finished listening to Jim Collins' Good to Great on CD
>during my commute to and from work.  The book has been recommended
>to me by several people in thinking about how to build a great
>museum.  One of the foundation principals is the idea that "you have
>to get the right be on the bus and the wrong people off the bus" in
>order to have a great organization.  While I would certainly agree
>that having the "right" people makes the job inordinately easier, I
>wonder if this is a model that non-profit museums, particular those
>that have small budgets and offer small salaries will find
>useful.  Can you attract the "right" people if the compensation is
>inadequate?  What about the smaller organizations in smaller
>communities where there may not be enough "right" people to fill up
>the vacancies on the board?
>
>One possible response is that the "right" people will volunteer and
>sacrifice for the "right" organization.  Noble, but not necessarily
>a model that works.
>
>Another, more likely response, I expect, is that training and
>support of current staff and those new to the field is an alternative model.
>
>I would be very interested in hearing a point-counterpoint
>discussion at the 2008 AASLH Annual Meeting on this topic of finding
>the right people vs. training the people you have.  Are both
>successful strategies?  What resources are needed to make each of
>them successful?
>
>Is there anybody out there who might be interested in taking a
>side?  Sharing your experience with either the "right people" or the
>"right training" or an entirely different model for success?
>
>Stacy Klingler
>Asst. Dir., Local History Services, Indiana Historical Society
>========================================================= Important
>Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).
>
>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
>should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).
>--
>dangerous content by ESVA, and is believed
>to be clean.

Stephen Topfer
Collections Manager
Art Gallery of Greater Victoria