From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:50:11 -0500
There was some discussion last month at an Advisory Council meeting about
the possibility of creating a display on death and dying in our region
(Appalachia, North Carolina). I brought up the subject since we have the
Appalachian Cultural Museum as part of App State here in Boone. We have the
wife of a local funeral director on the Council who thought it was a
wonderful idea.

Right now, the idea is being considered but nothing more. Hospice does not
own any material for the display outside of books from the library. We'd
probably have to rely on local funeral homes and perhaps even the patients
for a photographic inquiry during their illness. It involve a great deal of
paperwork and permission and planning, but I think it would be a worthwhile
exhibit. We have a genealogy society and historical society as well as App
State's Public History program as resource, not to mention the museum.

Now to my questions! Has anyone put together an exhibit on cultural death
and dying or approach the subject? What problems did you have? Did you use
patient's photographs or strictly historical stuff? Although I've put
together exhibts previously, this is a different animal. I'm the only
person with museum experience on staff. They've never considered such a
huge undertaking and I want the Council to be prepared for the negotiations
and such that are necessary to make this exhibit a reality. Thanks in
advance! Cheers!!
Jennifer L. Williams

                    Better safe than assimilated.
                                     -Cmdr. Chakotay