From:
Harry Klinkhamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:11:09 -0500
Objects may not necessarily be "out of context" underwater.  They may be
part of a ship wreck, or a site that was once above water (think towns
flooded by dams).  There is also a question of ownership.  What are the laws
of abandoned property?  Also, at least in the Great Lakes that I'm familiar
with, objects found underwater may be the property of the state.  I know
Michigan, Wisconsin, and I believe Illinois, have laws about objects found
in their "territorial waters" considered the property of the state.  There
was a major lawsuit about this in Illinois about the shipwreck Lady Elgin a
few years ago.

Harry Klinkhamer
Program Officer
American Association for