From:
David Condon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 1994 18:35:36 -0500

>    Menya has a very good point, and a good suggestion. I hope the List
> management will take heed. "Digest" means that you end up with one HUGE
> message, 3 or 4 smidgens of which you might like to save, print out,
> forward to colleagues off-list, or whatever. With "digest," you're forced
> to either save or delete *the whole thing.*

It is your choice whether to "SET MUSEUM-L DIGEST" or leave it as is.

>    ===> Why not set up the List so that the individual messages are "From"
> the original poster? That way, replies go by default to -->only that
> person, instead of cluttering the List. The fathers' rights and vegan lists
> I'm on are set up that way, and it makes a lot of sense. Replies to the
> huddled masses could still be made to museum-l, of course.

The From: line in Museum-L messages is _already_ set to the original sender.
At least the ones I get. It is the Reply-To: line that is set to Museum-L.
Some people have complained about not being able to see who the original
sender is. If your mail software truly offers you _no_way_ to view the From:
header, it is broken and you should use something else. But I suspect that
it's just that not everybody has taken the time to become completely
conversant with the software they are using. My suggestion is _please_
talk to your local systems people and gurus first if you have a problem.
If you can't see the From: header this is like the equivalent of a secretary
who not only opens your mail and discards the envelope but proceeds to
clip off the top of the letterhead as well. That would be a pretty poorly
designed piece of software. Not that such things don't exist. :(

--
David Condon, Librarian                   |        [log in to unmask]
Cleveland Museum of Natural History       |