From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:25:21 -0500
Hi Pamela et al.:

        I heard yesterday that the CEOs of some commercial
enterprises (esp. Sisco) are taking pay cuts; however, I
think it is unlikely that the directors and top
administrators of non-profits will follow suit.  The
difference: CEOs can (usually) fall back on the security of
their stock options . . . something not available to museum
administrators.
        It is true that museums and various non-profit
organizations were taking a hit long before September 11th.
After all, when the economy stinks, luxuries like museums --
and recreational travel -- pay the price.  (I wouldn't
consider spending extra cash if I felt threatened by the
slumping economy.  Would anyone?)  Nevertheless, I believe
Pamela is right that these museums businesses are using the
September 11th attacks as an excuse.
        They are 'projecting' a small (or no) recovery from their
current low attendance based on social reaction (buying gas
masks which are useless) and pending military reaction
(which always forces a reduction in 'leisure').  If they
held on one or two months, spending into their capital,
they'd find school groups visiting and tourism increasing to
near-normal levels . . . but those who are impatient need
resolution now by downsizing.
        (An additional factor: Some museum administrators are not
good financial planners, choosing to cover up their
inadequacies by firing staff rather than accepting a fair
share of the blame . . . but neither firing staff and
blaming people solves the immediate problem.)

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

This is a personal message. The views expressed in this
message are solely those of the sender and are not to be
attributed to the owner of the sender's domain, the sender's
employer or any other person.  If you have a problem with
what I wrote, take it up with me personally . . .