From:
Tristine Lee Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:07:59 -0400
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Bill Mulligan wrote:

> I know there are historical reasons for
> the delineation between natural history museums and history museums and the
> assignment of non-white peoples largely to the former rather than the
> latter, but is the continuation of this practice ethically neutral?
>
> Bill Mulligan, Murray State University

How would you suggest dealing with this situation?
Change the names of these museums from Natural History
to something else?  Provide signs for visitors discussing
the history and problems with the concept of natural
history museums in the U.S.?  Incorporate exhibits about
Euro-Americans and Europeans as well as other groups of
people in natural history museums?  Include exhibits
about people today as well as in the past to avoid leaving
people with the idea that these people are "extinct" like
the dinosaurs that are also displayed in the museum?
Are you suggesting something along these lines, or are
you suggesting that the anthropology collections in these
museums by moved to other institutions?

Tristine Lee Smart