From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:14:56 -0800
My experience with scanned and computer printed images is that they do not
yet  match the resolution of film-based prints.  They're close, but not
quite there yet.  Their longevity is also questionable -- I believe I can
already see some deterioration of digital images printed 8 x 10" after only
two years.  They are, however, less expensive and the resolution is
acceptable enough that I have opted for using them to send to newspaper
media in press packets.

For a recent exhibition, I used conventional film-based technology to
enlarge some b/w archival photographs to approximately 36 x 40".  To make
an 8 x 10 interneg, an enlarged print, and mount on 5/8" foam board, was
around $100 each.

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President, Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA 91103 USA (818)396-2397  fax (818)405-9104 [log in to unmask]
Williamson Gallery website:
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/williamson.html