Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 13:18:38 -0800
You might contact the Department of Environment,Textiles & Design
(Professors Beverly Gordon or Virginia Boyd) at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison, which operates the Helen Allen Textile Collection, a
Design Gallery and is in close proximity to the large and significant
textile and costume collections of the State Historical Society of
Wisconsin. (Try starting with the UW's website, www.wisc.edu, which is
out of service for "routine maintenance" today).

Also, the Winterthur Program in Early American Culture at the University
of Delaware would afford good opportunities to research historic textiles
in the Winterthur Museum collections; because there is a companion
program in conservation, you'd also get good exposure to curation and
conservation practices for these materials.  You can get a Museum Studies
certificate in tandem with that M.A. if you manage your electives well.
Of course, if your primary interest is in conservation and restoration,
then you should check out the Winterthur conservation program itself.

Good luck,

Doug Kendall, Curator of Domestic Life
Wisconsin State Historical Society
Madison, WI

--
By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meet the
definition of a