From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 20:49:00 -0800
I thought we'd have more replies on this one.

My own observation is that it would much depend on the personality and
character of the individual.  There are many people with an historical or
anthropological background who can and do operate a non-profit organization
in a businesslike way while doing rich and meaningful history.  Others,
however skilled they are in academic history, do not do well either in
business like operation or in making history exciting for the visitor.

Conversely, there are people with business backgrounds who understand and
appreciate the value of history and can and will learn local or regional
history to whatever level is needed for the position, and there are others
who will never quite understand what is significant in history and what is
not, or why anyone should even care.

That said, I suspect that which is more favored may depend on the background
of the board members who are doing the hiring, and there are obvious
pitfalls either way.  Thus, it may be much more important to understand what
a specific candidate does not have in their resume than what they do have,
and the ramifications of hiring those lacks.

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society
Oroville, CA