From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:01:09 -0500
"do you just give up the land you rightfully won?
(should america give back Texas?!) "

Not that I want to argue your overall point concerning Israel, Beth, but
your analogy of Texas is incorrect.  The US didn't win Texas and Texas
isn't the US's to give away.  Texas won its independence from Mexico in
1836 and was an independent nation until 1845, when it accepted an
invitation to join the US.  In the agreement, Texas withheld many rights
that other states don't have, including: the right to maintain a navy, and
the right to succeed from the Union at any time, which it did, in the Civil
War.  The fact of independence prior to statehood is one that is highly
celebrated in Texas.  Native Texans almost equate citizenship in the state
as equal to US citizenship.  Texas schools require all students to take
Texas History in 7th grade in order to graduate high school (you're exempt
if you move TX after 8th grade).  Texas children learn as much about the
Founding Fathers of Texas as they do about the US.  Many Texans trace their
roots to original settlers and land grants and consider themselves Texans,
even when they no longer live in the state (I am one of them).
I understand your point, and your analogy might only be considered
offensive by some, but it is woefully incorrect to all.  Just so you know.
Lori Allen,
Graduate Student, UMSL

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                                  - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Historian