From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:33:29 -0400
In the early to mid 1830s, Andrew Jackson bought extensive amounts of
furniture for his home, the Hermitage, outside of Nashville.  He made most
of his purchases in New Orleans, but the bulk of it was actually made in
Philadelphia (check with Marsha Mullin at the Hermitage for more info, or
visit their web site).  And, it would be fair to say, he was very conscious
of the latest tastes, and would have himself been striving to be considered
fashionable.  The vast majority is in the so-called Empire taste - not the
light Lannuier and Duncan  Phyfe stuff of the early 19th C, but the heavy
stuff that has never really found a great resale market.  Of all periods of
historic American furniture, these types of pieces are generally the least
expensive, so you are in luck!  I agree with a previous comment that you
probably can buy the originals for less than repros, but I haven't followed
the market recently (when I was in grad school, I was buying chests of
drawers from this period for $15-$25 or so, including a butler's desk dated
1838 - I actually have a half dozen or so that are still stored in a barn,
much the worse off for wear, I'm sure).  You may even find folks in your
area that would donate some of the pieces you need.  I probably would if you
were closer and my pieces were in display condition.  And, definitely,
rococo revival was later, the earliest beginning in the 1840s, but not
catching on until later.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)