From:
Christine Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:23:36 -0400
Hello All,

We are in the process of revising our policy on standing committees (i.e.,
"committees that serve at the discretion of, and are answerable to, the
Board of Directors," according to our by-laws).  These committees are not
composed of members of the Board, but of individuals (non-paid) who have an
interest in fundraising, exhibition development, education, etc.

The Board is considering whether to add a clause that would exclude certain
people from serving on a committee, if they had another
obligation/affiliation/job that would present a conflict of interest or the
appearance of an impropriety.  Examples could include barring an antiques
dealer from serving on the Acquisitions Committee or preventing a Board
member of another museum from being on our Fundraising Committee.

Does anyone have a clause or language of this type in their by-laws?  How
specific is the language in terms of who can or can't serve on a committee?

Thanks for any advice.

Christine Dwyer