From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:56:13 -0500
Having wondered how many of the list-posted job opportunities are "real" it
is interesting to observe how some of those having two-week application
deadlines are indeed real, and are in response to an emergency of one kind
or another.

For nearly 30 years in state management, I made every effort to find the
right candidates for important openings -- even if that meant dealing with
the urgency of a vacancy by adding to everyone else's workload for a spell.
 We tried to cross-train as much as possible, always aware that one or
another person might leave on short notice.  There was a period when the
state would allow no vacancy to be filled until the appropriate cabinet
secretary had verified that the applicant pool was "representative," and
that at least one minority was in the group of finalists.  New Mexico seems
to have carried this to an extreme, in perpetuity!