From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:47:37 -0400
We had the opportunity several years ago to purchase a roll of plain white
tyvek. Our conservator at the time had researched the matter quite
thoroughly and did not find it wanting in any way.

We have since used it as the final wrap on rolled textiles, made dust covers
for shelving units (just fasten to shelving frame with velcro), and we have
even made dust covers for vehicles with it, we have also used it as a
removeable handling support/liner for drawers and shelves on which we place
fragile items - we don't have to pick up the uniform, just pick up the tyvek
liner instead, minimizing the handling of the artifact and the stress on it.

It is easy to use, just cut and sew or cut and glue!

Just remember that it is a made as a vapour barrier and although it will
repell water for some time it is not completely waterproof. Also if you are
purchasing/obtaining a roll, make sure that it is not the construction grade
tyvek as the construction grade usually has printing all over it and you
really want just the plain unadulterated white tyvek.

Carol Reid