From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:15:00 PDT
In the profession of museum work, is there a clear statement of
the "theory" of museums?  I've read many books lately, some mention
"theory," but really never reach a discussion, let alone a conclusion.
Collecting, Exhibiting, Preserving -- are applications or functions
of musuem work.  Collecting, education, Exhibiting have their own
"theories."

I am doing a paper asking "why musuems" --- "what is museum theory" and
the differences between small, rural musuems and larger, urban museums.  It
is the second issue that I am having difficulty in finding a solution.  Can
anyone offer assistance, please?

Maybe it is this or a combination of:  A museum is unique in and of itself.
All museum present an exhibit to draw in the public, but each view the
public differently.  Children museum want their public to touch, why an art
or major museum would not want the public to "touch" objects on display.  A
public is different than a private or nonprofit museum.  A small, rural
museum is operated
different that a major, urban museum.  Each musuem also collect different
things, but a majority would preserve, educate and display artifacts
using the same principles.  Somethings remain common, while others do
not.  Funding is different, politics, size of staff, "professionalism", etc.
But, what is theory -- or is this it?

History, Science, Technology, Living History, Art, Media Museums, etc., all are
different in what they collect, but not in the reason of why they collect.
It is easy to determine "why musuems" -- to preserve history, to remember
the past, to preserve community, for research/study, education, enjoyment,
etc. And are museums important?  Yes, to some but to others they are not.

Stephen Weil and Ellis Burcaw are noted for their introduction to the
subject, but I have not found clear discussion of the subject.

Appreciate your response.  Thanks.