From:
Chad Landsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:34:39 -0500
In my opinion, the debate is a good one to have.   What is archaeology
and what is treasure hunting, that is.  Whether or not Harrison Ford
should have been appointed to the AIA board is really not that big of
deal. Yes Indiana Jones didn't use proper archaeological methods or
ethics, however, he is a movie character.  An archaeologist operating in
the 40s and 50s.  I can think of a number of real archaeologists that
were far less professional/ethical.  Yet because they weren't excavating
in Giza or Bangkor Wat, nobody gave a squat.

The fact is Harrison Ford is an individual, not Indiana Jones.  The
language they use is unfortunate but as Mark has already suggested, the
definition of a "real" archaeologist varies depending on the time,
place, and circumstances; the context. Ford is an interested,
knowledgeable, high-profile, wealthy individual; exactly the type of
individual you want on your board, even better if they are passionate
and assumed to have more wealthy friends.  Not only did Indiana Jones
spark a lot of people's interest in archaeology (including mine) but it
also made Harrison a good chunk of change.  To protest his appointment
is really much ado about nothing.  It makes perfect business sense for
the Non-profit to bring in a high-profile individual, such as Harrison
to increase the visibility of their organization.  Its not like he's
re-writing ethics policy or voting to ignore all import/export laws.

On a lighter note, nobody has mentioned his shady past as a smuggler and
a scoundrel or what he did to poor Greedo in the Cantina.