From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 10:34:14 -0500
>What is the best type of material to use for a wall for "temporary
>exhibitions" of various types, small community museum?
>Durability is of importance.  We've heard of self repairing fiber wall
>material.  Does anyone have any info on this?
>ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                          Fiorenzo Berardozzi

Here's a technique, rather than a material. I have used this at home as
well as in installations. It works on any wall surface--plaster, drywall or
hollow-core-door type folding screens.

Paint the wall a neutral color (not white--beige, cream, pale pink). Take 3
or 4 other colors from the same family, some slightly lighter, some darker.
Pouring one at a time, drizzle them in overlapping spirals in a large pan,
like a lasagna pan (use a real one; foil buckles and is hard to control).

Take a large natural sponge (buy at art stores or bath stores), wring it
out in water. Dab it into the paint tray and then pat it on the walls.Try
not to go in straight lines; circles or diagonals are best. Don't rub or
stroke; pat! If you mess it up, base coat it and try again.

This goes surprisingly fast, looks great, anyone can do it (you might want
to do a test piece of cardboard to check your colors). The secret is in
getting colors that are fairly close together. You will end up with a wall
that looks slightly textured (or marbled, depending on how you choose your
colors) and the great benefit is that it hides *everything*. You can patch
or spackle between shows and just re-dab the paint (save some in little
jars), or even touch up chips and dings in the morning before you open to
the pubic.
Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
it for free."