From:
"Nancy S. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 22:37:41 -0400
I agree that "patina" can be historically important and is often left in
place, however, it depends on the nature of the artifact. Lipstick contains
grease and staining colors which will likely cause degradation of the
fabric. So it's probably a good idea to remove it, if it can be removed
safely. I hope any conservators on the list will weigh in with their
opinion.  Nancy