From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:44:30 -0500
Funny you should ask; we just devoted the better part of a staff meeting to
this (again).

I instruct my staff, over and over again, that sending out shotgun appeals
for volunteers seldom works.  You use every resource you can think of to
get them in to start with.  Then, when you have developed a large list of
those who have expressed an interest, you call them with specific tasks
that will take specific periods of time to accomplish.  Like:

"Hi, Sarah.  This is Nancy at the museum.  We have just received a major
exhibit and need some help inventorying it before we intall it.  Can you
give us three hours of your time on Friday to get this task accomplished?"

If Sarah ends up helping, you know you have a hot one.  But don't burn her
out.  Go to someone else the next time.  In the meantime, while Sarah is
helping with this specific task, feel her out about giving a set number of
hours a week or month doing a specifically defined job (have
job-descriptions written out for all volunteer tasks).  If she feels good
about being there, she might sign on.

We hold a volunteer appreciation dinner each year.  We serve barbeque and
offer some live music (in Texas you are always safe serving barbeque).  We
do not give special awards.

More later, someone just came into the office.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar