From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 13:45:34 -0800

I think we often forget the origins of museums as "curiousity cabinets"
for oddities and the unusual or rare.

It take a great deal of ehtnocentricity to assume that what someone else
has we should take as be can do better.  What an insult!  Most of the
material cultural objects were never intended to last forever.  It is
only the "our" ideas and views that have altered that state.  Looting is
looting; grave robbing is grave robbing no matter what the academic or
"higher" intentions are of the robbers even if they are archaeologists.
Western society still survives in its 19th century philosophies of "some
are better than others".  This belief system turns native people into
curiousities and the debris from vanished civilisations into museum
stock.  This is not an honourable system.

Even today, we continue to look at other cultures as just objects?
Pieces of a civilisation?  It is difficult to look at any culture without
considering everthing from material culture to language to mores to
people:  one cannot be extracted from the others.

As for Russia, we have a lot to learn from Russia.  St Petersburg
contains some extremely brilliant museum folk working with a staggering
divers work in every conceivable media.  Yes, they are suffering from a
lack of funds, but even in less than wonderful working conditions, they
manage extraordinary results.  If anything would be helpful, it would be
to embrace them as colleagues and fellow workers and to assist as an
equal partner (with a dash of humility).

Touring exhibitions probably would be helpful, but the museums and the
Russian government are very protective of their heritage and their
collections, just as we would be.  But the income from such touring
exhibitions would be welcome.

When I was in St Petersburg, I received several requests for technical
books, reliable suppliers, and so forth from conservators.  Being a
person of very little means myself, I have sought help from others, but
few are interested in giving a helping hand in some ways.

In the end, it is we who must have integrity, act honourably and with
equality.  We are all interconnected and we are all neighbors.  A good
neighbor has a responsibilty to be helpful, to ask how help can best be
given.  To make assumptions, or to assume one knows best for others, is
arrogance and is dishonourable.  Extend the willingness to help, but let
the recipient say how that help can best be used.  This is true of museum
to museum and person to person.  Walk out into the streets and see those
around as neighbors, the land as mother and giver/supporter of life.

Thanks
Dave