From:
Education <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:23:46 -0600
This is also a common occurrence during school programs at our museum.  I
agree it is not only disruptive to the program and students, but is also
disrespectful if not exasperating considering they have just warned their
students prior to the class to be good listeners!!  As I dislike further
compounding the disruption in a program, whether it be by students or
teachers, by halting the program to address these concerns, I have found
effective yet subtle ways to deal with them.  My favorite method is to raise
my voice several octaves and make eye contact with the teacher(s) in
question.  If this does not work, I simply make my way physically towards
the teacher, or student, raising my voice a few more octaves (yes, I mean
loud!) until I near them, again making and maintaining eye contact the
entire time.  Most adults, if not most students, quickly pick up on these
non-verbal cues and promptly quiet down.  Another more forward method I have
used is to quickly, without barely missing a beat in my program, whisper
behind my hand and into the offender's ear, "Thank you for being quiet."  I
do this nonchalantly as if I was sharing a tid bit about one of their
students, or, in the case of a disruptive child with a pat on the head as if
I was sharing a special secret with them.  The statement is as much a demand
as it is a request and works quite efficiently!  Good luck!