From:
Gregory Scheib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 22:05:19 -0400
Ignoring for the time being all the (unproductive) comments up to this
point from the Washington area, try Edward P. Alexander's book  "Museums in
Motion" (1993, Am. Ass. for State and Local History, Nashville Tennessee),
It's a little conservative, but gives a good over-all survey of various
museum types and the often conflicting roles of conservation, exhibition,
preservation and research.

As far as your second question, one of the best ways to explore the
museum prof. is to volunteer or intern at a local museum.  Perhaps this
could be incorporated in your lesson plan somehow.  Some familiarity with
museums prior to classwork, even just as a visitor is important, as well
as concentrating on one area of interest  -- the arts, natural sciences,
history, etc.  Though of course there is a great deal of overlap, each
area has unique issues.  Perhaps you can focus on the common problems
faced by all museums and allow students to research a particular museum
type and their issues.

Good luck.
(a non-professorial opinion)

Gregory Scheib