From:
John Rumm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:22:30 -0400
A few other suggested references that I've found very helpful:

1)  Zahava D. Doering and Andrew J. Pekarik, "The Exhibition Dialogue" An Outline" [I'm not sure of the exact source, but believe it was either Curator or Museum News], Summer/Fall 1993.

2)  Jeff Kennedy, "User Friendly: Hands-On Exhibits That Work," Association of Science-Technology Centers; includes a "User Friendly Exhibit Design Checklist."

3)  Jan Hjorth, "How to Make a Rotten Exhibition," Curator, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1977 [a reprint of a publication originally produced by the National Scheme for Travelling Exhibitions in Sweden].  Though nearly 25 years old, this article, wonderfully illustrated by Marianne Flink, justifiably deserves to be regarded as a "classic" that stands the test of time.

A final thought: with all the "Idiot's Guides" and "Guides for Dummies," it's surprising that no one has produced one (at least, so far as I'm aware) on how to develop an exhibition.  I'm loathe to think, though, that it's because any idiot or dummy already knows how exhibitions are developed!

¯ John Rumm
Executive Director
Catholic Heritage Center
Archdiocese of Philadelphia