From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:07:30 -0500
I have stayed at the Portland Square Hotel in midtown ((212) 382-0600) which
is very close to the MoMA.  A few years ago it was well within your price
range, and may still be.  The rooms are small, clean, and the hotel felt
safe and is well-located (W. 47th between 6th and 7th), but it is far from
elegant.   So you get cleanliness, location, and affordability, but
"character," well, may be lacking.

Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art