From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 15:23:23 -0400
Robin and others, since many of these anxious queries are posted every six
months or so, I can't help but give my semi-annual pronouncement:

Often the best learning experiences can be found out in the small towns away
from the large and impressive museums where everyone searches for that entry
level job.  Pennsylvania has a wealth of small museums and local historical
and arts societies.  Some have fulltime staff, some have only volunteers.
Some also have part-time staff working with volunteers.  In almost every
case, their boards welcome whatever talents you can offer, at the price they
can afford to pay you, and are delighted to help.  Usually they don't have
much interest in national advertising -- either can't afford it, can't take
the time to respond to hundreds of applications, are afraid they'll make the
wrong decision and be stuck with it.  Find the area you'd like to live for
now, and travel around it to visit these places, make yourself known.  You
have ample opportunity to start networking if you grow tired of work in the
grassroots.

Ross Weeks Jr.
http://histcrab.netscope.net