From:
Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:46:51 -0500
> << Museums will always have subject matter
>  experts around. They don't always have good educators. >>

I find the idea that educators don't have to be subject "experts" rather
distressing. Perhaps not THE expert, but certainly as well informed as, say,
a master's degree in a related field for someone responsible for planning
the education programs. Otherwise junk information and wrong emphasis and
poor interpretation can run wild. You have to have a solid grasp of the
basics of the field to put information in context, know the terminology,
know the arguments, know the coming areas for research, know where the
sources are for good and reliable information... maybe only the tip of this
iceberg gets out to the public, but you need the whole iceberg.

At the art museum where I work as a consultant, the education staff is
specialized - one person for school programs, one for adult and docent
programs, one for family programs - and I believe that all of them have
advanced degrees and experience. The head of the Education Department is
considered a Curator, and makes decisions along with the art Curators and
other senior staff. All these people have to know their stuff.

Teaching experience and training is important, but even a gifted and trained
teacher is a better one with a deep background and a passion for the subject
taught.

Carol Ely
Museum Consultant
Louisville