Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:06:07 -0500
The query relating to the evolution of historical societies and museums
prompts this response.  Our Old Courthouse Museum (just reaccredited) is
operated by the McLean County Historical Society.  The Society board, elected
by the members at an annual meeting are the governing body.  This system
works quite wqell fro three important reasons. 1) They are truely community
representatives and keep the museum focused on its role as a public entity.
 Having 24 non-museum people watching over your shoulder is healthy. 2) The
board functions as the focal point for annual giving.  We generate 75% of our
own funds.  The board works hard to secure these funds.  The feedback
resulting from this process functions as abarometer and provides important
information on community perception of the museum. 3) Public perception
resulting from 1&2 results in a general attitude that the museum belongs to
the community as a whole - a good example of the power of a non-government
organization.

The only major problem is that we are still uncertain of our "true name"
being the "historical society museum" does carry a number of unfortunate
meanings to a variety of agencies and individuals.

Greg Koos
McLean County Historical Society/Old Courthouse Museum
Bloomington Illinois

<< Would anyone like to share their anecdotes regarding the evolution that
 most historical museums seem to go through. That is the evolution from
 completely volunteer run, usually a historical society, to professional
 staff.  What becomes of the historical society in relation to the museum,
 as staff takes over the operation of the museum, but still requires
 significant contribution from volunteers. Does the Historical society
 become a "Friends of" organization, or is another volunteer body created,
 or does the H.S. continue?  I know that every case is different and each
 has achieved the arrangment best suited to its purpose, but I'm
 interested in the anecdotes, stories, problems etc.. that have arisen
 through such situations.

 Thank You.

 --
 Daniel Robert