From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:46:50 -0600
Hello David,

> As I read the comments about "Three White Guys and a Flag"
> and think about the events of September 11, I become very
> concerned.

I think you raise some interesting points, but include some
commentary below.  Of course, some will dismiss this thread
as a moot point, now that the plans for the
monument/memorial have been put on hold pending further
discussion; however, it speaks to the ideas upon which this
nation was founded.

> First, as museum professionals we are all familiar with
the
> notion of "Artistic License."  This allows the artist to
interprete
> images, events, etc. in a slightly unique and personal
way.
> Think about all of the images of Napoleon on horseback.

Artistic license is something different than state sponsored
propaganda.  Representations of Napoleon by his official
artists (esp. Jacques-Louis David) are hardly comparable to
this monument/memorial in that there is (thankfully) no
self-proclaimed emperor of New York City, New York State, or
the United States of America.

> The second thought I would offer is that the divisiveness
> associatiated with this issue raises the question about
whether
> we are really "united" as we stand against terrorism in
general.
> The terrorist attacks touched every Americans life.  The
symbol
> of a multi-ethnic group of individuals raising the
American flag
> is a testament to every American who was affected by the
> events.  How can we be united as a nation when we continue
> to be divided about ideas?

There will and must always be room for differing opinions in
a democracy and for limits to unity.  Everyone should be
heard, as that is what democracy means.  The only thing
worse than apathy in a democracy is blind allegiance to
authority.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.  My opinions - no one else's.  If you
have
a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me personally.
;-)
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!