From:
Kensuke Mizutani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:57:31 +0900
Hello, everyone. please excuse me for cross-posting the following
enquiry.

A local eco-life center in Tokyo in which I have participated as a
volunteer is now planning a six-month program (September 1998 - March
1999) for children (age 9-12) who live in the local area. The object
of the program is to make the urban kids perceive how important it is
to reduce producing CO2 in the Earth and then to encourage them to
take actions to reduce producing CO2 in their daily lives. Although
some activities are to be held during the six months, all of them must
be aimed at the above goal. In other words, this program must be a
series of events under the same purpose. (So maybe the participants
will be limited like a class at school.) Anyway, the planning has to
be completed by the end of August and then be implemented from
September. And the total budget available is 800,000 Japanese yen
(approximately 5,600 US dollars).

Last Saturday a program organizer of the center asked me to bring some
ideas of possible activities by July 11. Although I am thinking of
some which are kids-friendly (e.g., skit, role-playing game, cycling
tour, etc.), I am wondering whether there are some better ones held in
the museum world.

I am not sure if you have ever had such a CO2-reducing program or a
similar one for the kids. But, even if not, what activities do you
think would be effective for the urban children to develop appropriate
attitudes to reduce producing CO2 through the program? I would be
grateful if you told me any information concerned with the above.

Thanks in advance.

Kensuke Mizutani
MA Candidate in Museology (Museum Studies)
Reinwardt Academie, The Netherlands
(Now writing my thesis in Tokyo, JAPAN)