From:
Angela J Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:14:23 -0800
It's definitely against the best practices for deaccessioning to
offer it to staff - what's to stop an unscrupulous curator from
deaccessioning desired pieces to supplement their own personal
collection if this is a standard practice at an institution?

If you offer it back to the donor, you just have to be sure you've
waited at least 2 years from when it was accessioned (IRS issues).

Most people I've talked to definitely prefer to find another
institution for exchange or transfer.

Angela

Angela J. Linn
Collections Manager, Ethnology & History
University of Alaska Museum of the North
907 Yukon Drive
P.O. Box 756960
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960
TEL: (907) 474-1828