From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:33:12 -0700
Picking up on Julia Moore's remarks regarding free day alternatives, I
would note that free days (or evenings) also  become excessively crowded
days or evenings, an eventuality that tends to make the museum experience
altogether less pleasant, so that the free day becomes "steerage" as
opposed to the paid "first-class" experience---not at all an effect most
museums strive to achieve.

In our case, with limited visitation (roughly 120,000/yr) and with the
obligation of free admission for the university community, a prime
consideration was the difference between potential income and the cost of
staffing ticket taking.  While we haven't ruled out a surcharge for
expensive loan shows, our conclusion was that the potential income was not
worth the inhibiting potential of charging (for what ideally ought to be
public benefit).

On the other hand, I need to mention that we are blessed by the support we
receive from donors as well as the university which allows us the luxury of
being free- especially when the actual costs of doing business are very
high.  (In blithe moments I like to think to think of this as being
non-profit with a vengance.)  So ultimately your decision should take into
account these and probably other factors:  potential income;  cost of
securing income; potential loss of visitation; change in attitude &
expectations of visitor (i.e. service for fee), etc.

Bernard Barryte

Bernard Barryte
Chief Curator
Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-5060
USA

tel:  650/ 725-0466  fax: 650-725-1652