From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:24:54 -0500
Thanks to Perry and Candace.  I am in STL because of hubby's job (it does
pay the bills).  After I compete my degree, we'll move where ever we can
BOTH find work.

My BFA is in Art History, but for my MA, I am switching to History with a
graduate certificate in Museum Studies.  One of the primary reasons for the
switch was that it opened up more opportunities such as small town history
museums, historical sites and houses.  My husband's job has lots of
opportunities in small towns (especially as he advances and moves into
management), so I wanted to be able to find museum work in any size town and
not be out of work if he gets a great job offer somewhere in "smallsville".
My hubby is very supportive, as well, and will move to accomodate my job
next time, if necessary.  Assuming, of course, the offer pays a livable
wage.

I have searched and searched the internet for jobs, as well as local
institutions, and there are full-time jobs available, if you have the right
experience.  I can't work full time, go to school full time, and be a
reasonably good wife and mother to an 18 month old.  So I wanted to work
part time, try to bring in a little extra money, gain more experience and
make contacts.  Since I relocated here only a year ago, the last reason was
certainly not the least.   In the time since I have searched, I have had
only two responses to the dozens of resumes sent out.  Both at such low
wages it amazed me anyone over 16 would work for that.  In fact, I pay my
college-aged babysitter more on Saturday nights.

My frustration is that everyone wants education and experience, but no one
will pay for either... it took me nine years to pay off my undergrad loans
and make enough to save for my grad school.  I ran my own business for 5 of
those years and I am willing to work as a secretary, tour guide, whatever,
to get my foot in the door.  I just can't afford to do it a financial loss
to my family.  Obviously, whomever hires me is going to get the benefit of
hiring someone way over qualified and very dedicated.

My goal in posting was to point out that there was frustration on both
ends...possible employees and on those who need help but can't find anyone
willing to work for such low wages.  It seemed to be an obvious problem to
me.  I thought perhaps we could start a dialogue about how to get things
changed.  But instead, I got told life is unfair.  Yes, it is, right up
until someone does something about it.  I have been asked what my plan is.
I started by turning down the unpaid internship at a large institution I was
offered.  I will no longer work for free.  My time and my current level of
experience are worth $9 / hour.  Especially considering I could get twice
that in the for-profit sector.

As for the rest of my plan: I am going to get my MA and I am going to work
towards raising the education level of museum visitors and non-visitors
about the importance of museums and the need for higher salaries.  I may do
this by pursuing a career in development, or in docent / volunteer
management, or in public relations.  Since I have an undergrad minor in
marketing and have made my living in sales for the last 9 years, I could
move into any of these areas with little difficulty.

Another lister posted a message concerning convincing others of our value.
(Hmm....Perhaps this will be my thesis topic.)  But she is on the right
track.  We have to educate the public.  I wonder if we all went on strike
what would happen.  They are doing that in Canada.  This all comes back to
my original comment about community.  It was such a hot topic at the AAM
convention in May.  There were even sessions about changing the commitment /
compensation ratio and the lack of diversity in museum staff.  If we want to
be part of the community, the we have to attract them as audiences and staff
members.  And to do the latter, we have to pay a livable wage.