From:
"Harding, Deborah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:59:36 -0400
Thanks to Dawn and all those who have replied both publically and privately.
I'll be getting back to many of you privately, though I'm using Dawn's
posting to answer some of the common questions/comments.  One thing that
should be said up front is that we're looking first to transfer this
material to other museums/historic sites, not sell it.  That's sort of the
last resort before discard.  Our transfers do include the clause that the
recipient must return the material to us if they decide to dispose of it.
        We've contacted the local university drama departments with little
success.  It seems that Americans have changed size and shape enough that
costumes made just 20 years ago don't fit modern students.  The alteration
of 100-year-old clothing would be such a chore that making new costumes is
easier, and they also have storage space problems, so don't want them as
study pieces.
        The fashion institute is a good idea, though our collection is
mostly middle-class, everyday material, along with the ubiquitous wedding
dresses nobody could bear to throw away so gave to the museum.  Most of the
fashion/designer clothing of Pittsburgh high society has already gone to the
historical society.  I'll look into the arts/crafts community for the
spinning wheels.

Deborah G. Harding
Collection Manager
Section of Anthropology