From:
James Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:27:05 -0400
After reading this article I had to wonder, did this journalist do her
homework? Quilts have been very popular ewpecially in American Folklife and
have a significant historical impact. This past summer I had the absolute
pleasure of viewing a quiltwork done by homes using the Underground
Railroad. On these quilts the wners placed maps so these slaves could travel
safely from house to house as well as other important information they made
need. The Amish also created spectacularly crafted quilts of many designs
and patterns.
    Another point which I take objection to is that museums place these
exhibits in because of financial reasons. This is somewhat true, but big or
small you can not run large exhibits all the time( money doesn't grow on
trees), so when an exhibit comes around which is lease costly sometimes you
use them as fillers, which we do and place them between the large exhibits
you may run. So hopefully this journalist who obviously was quite naive in
her article about why and for what reason they are used, hopefully she looks
next time at the bigger picture.
p.s. I wonder what the Amish here in Pa. would think? Plus maybe Serrano ,
Maplethrope and "Sensations" are not art to her either.