Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:42:58 -0600
Hello, I am currently a summer student at a heritage institution and would
like to find some information about proper conservation procedures.

Two things have been on my mind lately, relating to tasks I've been doing.
I am interested in how one conserves old books(1860's - 1920's) that are
in less than ideal storage facilites, i.e is there any basic way to help
minimize damage to spines and pages from light and heat and potential
critters of the rodent variety?  Currently these books are in a "library"
on shelves uncovered in a small room with little ventilation and a number
of windows(he blinds are closed).

The second thing, is silver and silver plated artifacts. I have spent the
last week polishing some beautiful pieces from the late 1800's to early
1900's.  I am interested to know what causes the variations in corrosion
on same types of metal. For example, what can be identified as a result of
heat vs finger print marks.  Is there a book that illustrates and/or
discusses this?  Also does Haggerty's silver polish residue samge the
silver, we found some left on from last year and it seems to have left
marks wher eit was gooed on.  Finally is it possible to use the baking
soda, foil method to remove tarnish or is this too damaging?

If anyone knows of simple conservation techniques on a shoe string
budget for the books(what else does anyone have these days?!) it would be
much appreciated.  As for th silver stuff I'm more interested for future
refernce.  I'm sure the books would appreciate some advice, poor old
things, it would be nice to give them a few more years of quality living.

So any refernces you might know woul dbe fantastic.

thanks ever so much
Colleen