From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:32:32 -0500
Hi Melissa,

     I'm not a museum employee, but have done living history.

     If the theme is "Living History and the Public", why focus on the
19th & 20th centuries?  I would think that museums of all eras would
be able to gain and contribute to the program.  Williamsburg &
Jamestown are in Virginia (I'm not sure how far "South" extends for
your focus), as well as Agecroft which is a Tudor house that was
brought over and I believe has some living history.  Florida has
17thC St Augustine, and Bayou Bend in Houston may have some 18thC.

     Keeping the visitor involved, character development, how far do you
go with costume and prop accuracy - these things span all eras.

     -Carol

>   My museum is exploring the possibility of holding a conference in 2007
> aimed at living history museums.  We're still in the very, very early
> stages of planning, but a potential theme is "Living History and the
Public"