From:
"P. Edward Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:05:57 -0500
Why not the reverse? I doubt if it has been done but Why not ask the
ability of Science & Technology to sheperd the interest that young
people might have and make it possible for them to find a career in
Science.

In other words, some kind of mentoring process. For instance: I have
read in a past article of Sky & Telescope of the terrible state of
education of Planetarium officials.  Not all, to be sure, but enough of
them don't know too much about the sky. It seems to me that there are a
whole bunch of Amateur Astronomers that could fill in the gaps. Why
trust a "Professional" who doesn't know what he or she is talking about?

Ed Murray