From:
Shannon O'Dell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:04:29 -0400
Hello Desmond and Nancy,

I feel I need to chime in on this one.  Generally having directional
lighting on the exterior of an exhibit case could pose glare/reflection
issues with the glass wouldn't it?  Conservation-wise, Desmond's suggestion
would be ideal, but isn't this why most museums with display cases have the
lighting inside the case?

We are exploring LED lighting for the inside of our exhibit cases that
currently have (too warm) halogen bulbs and will be testing some samples
from Prolume out of Connecticut.  They have been recommended by Shelburne
Museum's conservator. I would be interested to learn about other vendors who
have installed LED lights that have dimmers in a museum setting.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Shannon O'Dell, Curator
Sindecuse Museum of Dentistry
University of Michigan