Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 20:39:56 PDT
(snip)> I'm not sure whether museums
>prohibit it because the rules are holdovers from flashbulb days or
whether
>conservators disagree about its effects.

One very simple reason we do not allow flash is that it's distracting
and annoys other visitors.  And yes, conservators disagree about its
effects, on the work or object in question and those near it. When we
give an authorization to photograph something (if reasons and
circumstances justify) we advise the recipient of the permit to come
equipped with 400 ASA film.