From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:06:06 -0500
I've been following this thread for some time and felt it was time to
contribute. I don't think the real issue is whether graffitti is art (high
or low) but one of whether painting anything (art or not) on someone else's
property is vandalism. Maybe this is two threads?

By the way, Philadelphia has cut down on graffitti in a big way through two
city-wide programs. One is the Phila. Anti-Graffitti Squad mural project,
which involves local residents, especially teens, in painting murals on
anything that will stand still (yes, they get permission from the owner of
the building). Very few of these murals get over-painted by graffitti. They
also maintain a strong campaign in the neighborhoods of scrubbing off or
painting over graffitti on smaller areas within 48 hours. After two or
three scrubs the signers go elsewhere.

Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
it for free."