From:
michele jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:15:40 +0000
Hi besides the publications already mentioned the below  might also provide
you with more background information
ICOFOM symposium "Museum and Community" in Beijing 1994 and  Stavanger 1995,
that dealt with this topic. Other books and articles are:

Beilmann, M., "Nationalmuseen in Deutschland: das Museum als
Bildungsanstalt", Kunst & Antiquitäten 6, 1990: 10-13.
Boylan, P. J., "Reflecting the state of the nation", Museums Journal 95/2,
1995: 24-25.
Gombac, B., "The National Museum - An individual case study", (ICOM-Treffen
Großkochberg, November 1993), 1993.
Jensen, J., "Christian Jürgensen Thomsens museum - en guldaldervision",
Nordisk Museologi 1993/1, 1993: 17-30.
Plessen, M. L. v., The German Historical Museum - reasons and circumstances
of its creation and finalities - do we need again a National Museum by the
end ot the 20th century? (Tagung "Museologie" Umea, 20. 4. 1990).
Plessen, M. v., "Order and culture, passages of popularization", Nordisk
Museologi 1994/1: 25-30.
Raffler, Marlies: "(National-)Museumsprojekte in der Habsburgermonarchie im
frühen 19. Jahrhundert". Manuskript 1999.
Seipel, W., "Das Museum in Österreich und sein Stellenwert in einem
zusammenwachsenden Europa", Neues Museum e u. 4/1994: 37-46.
Smrekar, A., The National Gallery : The Ideological difficulties of the
Specialized Museum. (Prag 1990).
Wäre, R., "The National Museum of Finland 1916-1996 - from preservation to
presentation", Nordisk Museologi 1996/2: 139-148.