From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:12:07 -0800
--- Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is it likely that anyone will take the time to read the fraktur and notice
> that it's 2 male names?  Possibly.  Of those people that do, how many of
> them will be so incensed that they will make a big deal of it?  Half? A
> quarter?  The numbers are in your favor.

I think the point here was not so much that the audience would be offended,
(which will probably happen) but that the piece in question is depicting
something that the organization sponsoring the exhibit is fundamentally opposed
to. And I thought that the executive director was the only so far that has
noticed this but that the other board members are sure to raise eyebrows.

So in this case, it's not just a potential controversy with the public, but
with the sponsoring organization. And again, I think you have to look at the
motives behind putting up the pieces. This man used to be a member of their
church and left because of this issue. This is not an outside artist coming in
who doesn't know the history of the church and its beliefs. Putting these
certificates in his exhibit is not a "ooops" but at it's mildest a
"nyaaaahh-nyaaah" and at worst a slap in the face. What would you think if a
conservative Jewish museum asked an artist to come in for an exhibit and he put
up Nazi propaganda or Spam sculptures?

I think some on this list need to step back and think about the whole
situation. Taking a piece down because it is offensive to the group that is
sponsoring the exhibit isn't censorship, it's respect. They asked this artist
to come in and do an exhibit. He needs to be aware of their views and respect
them. Clearly he understands their views. And besides, it's an exhibit on a
particular art style, not on the subject of marriage or relationships. If the
pieces aren't significantly different from the other works in the exhibit, I
believe that the artist needs to politely be told that they need to be taken
down. And maybe this might open a dialogue with the rest of the board about his
beliefs and they can work out their differences in a constructive manner, not
using a public display to make a point.

Deb