From:
Sarah Rowand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 08:43:23 -0700
I do tell them "Please do not touch" because I think
you have to be very specific, but I always follow it
up with a positive statement of what they should do:
"Look with your eyes, not with your hands." I add
things like: "Please keep your hands at your side" or
"Hold onto your partner's hand".

Sometimes, I try to recognize ahead of time that they
may really have the urge to touch and I try to give
them alternative things to do when that urge comes: "I
know that the objects may look especially shiny and
smooth, but instead of rubbing your hands on them,
think of words to describe how they look. Tell your
partner what you see. Try to figure out at least 2
words to describe it."

Sometimes, I give them each something to hold related
to whatever they are looking at, with the idea that if
their hands are busy,they won't be touching! Ideas
include: a picture of something to look for, a
"looking glass" or empty frame to look through."
Oftentimes, the prop I give them encourages looking,
again to emphasize what they SHOULD be doing (looking)
instead of what they shouldn't (touching).

Your young visitors would probably also benefit from a
hands-on demonstration of why they shouldn't touch.
Show them a prop (like a brass door knob) that has
been touched many times and one that hasn't. Ask them
to describe the differences. Ask them why they think
they shouldn't touch. The more hands-on and
interactive the explanation, the more meaningful it
will be to the students.

If you have time, have the students "teach" each other
the rules. Divide the students into small groups, give
each group an index card with a rule on it. Give them
props to use. Ask them to act out or demonstrate this
rule to the whole group.

--- Laurel Spencer-Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>