From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:05:16 -0400
On 7/10/05, Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> And Deb, based only on what you wrote about your "work
> privileges" it sounds like you may be an exempt
> employee and shouldn't have to "make up" any time.
> Being exempt, you can work as little as one minute in
> a day (hypothetically, though a half hour is probably
> more practical) and not have to record or make up the
> time.  However, you may also need to work til midnight
> if that's what the assignment takes without
> compensation beyond your regularly pay.

I think we're talking about two different things here. I'm an "exempt"
employee as I do not earn overtime and I'm on salary. But I do earn
vacation time and am expected to put in 40 hours a week.

Some companies are starting to require "core hours", meaning you have
to be at the office during those core hours. My last company had this
policy and so I had to be at the office between 9-3. Most of the time
it is because you are in some type of support contractor role and need
to be available for your clients. While my boss didn't mind me taking
the occasional hour off and making it up later, if I was going to be
gone more than that, I had to use vacation time. I also couldn't "make
up" vacation time by working a few long days before I left or after I
came back.

At this position, since I'm on-site with my clients, my work schedule
is technically dictated by them. As long as I get my work done and am
available for scheduled meetings, I can basically work when I want.
There is one lady in my office who takes off early to meet her kids
after school and then works from home and another guy does the same to
beat the traffic home. But all my hours must add up to 40 hours a
week, regardless of when I work them.

Deb