From:
Betsey Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:28:10 -0400
We state in our intern handbook that cell phones are to be used only on
break. IPods and BlackBerries can, I think, be equally distracting from
the work at hand so we plan to discourage them as well unless they are
being used for research purposes. We have had paid internships in the
past so had a bit more leverage on matters like this. As a budget
cutting measure we went to unpaid internships for this coming summer so
may need to be a bit more relaxed-although if the interns expect to get
credit they will need to stay involved in the museum experience rather
than their social life while they are here. Anyone else moving from paid
to unpaid positions? What are upside (in addition to the cost savings)
and possible downsides that you see?