From:
Cindy Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:22:15 -0500
Hello;
I know I'm going to sound like an embittered and negative person- but here
goes. This has been my experience; and I know that everyone is different.
I can tell you that finding even the most basic entry-level education
position has been the single most frustrating thing I have ever done-- even
given that I have geographic limitations. I find plenty to apply for in the
area; but I've been at this 5 years. I was a docent conducting interpretive
programming(and still do).The only job I managed to get was visitor
services.I decided to get a graduate museum education degree(from GWU) The
only position I could find was severely part time(12hrs/week)as a museum
aide at a historic site(good people, though).I kept that job for close to 5
years (while working another job full-time and volunteering).I thought; baby
steps- perhaps this would be a stepping stone. The only full time position I
got was; again in visitor services(worst job I ever had- such abusive
management).I got that job based on my visitor services experiences.The
upshot of this is- I don't believe the grad. museum ed. degree has had the
slightest impact on my employment. I wish I hadn't spent the hard-earned
money on it. I even started out as an educator- I started as a certified art
educator grades 7-12 and even got a first Master's in art teacher education.
I taught part time grades 4 through adult. Currently, I am a public programs
assistant; again with little educational content. I saw one (coveted)
position go to another volunteer who had an English Lit. Bachelor's and no
other education experience. I've seen job after job go like this.We were
given statistics on how many graduates held museum positions; but in
retrospect I think we naively failed to question what positions were
held(education; or security and gift shop?)and were they even close to full
time? The number was low even at that(67% was quoted).I thought I might've
had a slight edge since I started as an educator. I think that I've finally
gotten realistic about it. Many from my class still haven't found
education-related or full time work.  I love volunteering; working to
improve our interpretation any way I can. But had I the chance to do it
again (knowing what I know, of course) I wouldn't spend money on an
additional degree. I know other people have had more positive experiences
but it's good to hear the other side;too. I'd be very cautious about
additional education as an investment towards future employment-weigh the
costs towards the benefit.