From:
Adam Maroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:37:30 -0600
Who cares???????????????????????
-----Original Message-----
From: Angela Putney <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, April 02, 1999 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: the Gen-X thread

>>Regarding the whole discussion about getting Gen-X into the museum:
>>
>>        I have two distinct opinions on the subject; one being that it's
>>probably more effective to give younger kids museum experiences,
>[snip]
>
>This sounds good to me.
>
> [snip]
>> (although Gen-X is, I
>>believe, defined as ages 14-25.  Try pinning that one down!),
>
>Actually, Gen-X are the people born between the years 1967 (or is it 1965)
and 1979 (or is it 1976) and are now in their twenties and early thirties.
(Copland's book came out in 1992 describing the generation just out of
college).

>        I am also curious as to which people the original poster is trying
to attract. All my friends who are also Gen-X, who cover a wide variety of
occupations, enjoy attending museums of all types (some more than others,
but that gets into personal likes and dislikes). As we age and decide that
we need to start giving away large sums of our money, we will most probably
be giving it to museums, educational programs, PBS, etc. The only Gen-Xer I
know who doesn't really like attending musuems is my brother. To get him to
attend you would have to turn the museum into an amusement park/sporting
complex/computer game arcade. If that were done, I and my friends would not
show up.
>        Now if it were special exhibits that the poster wanted ideas about,
a wider audience might be attracted if the exhibit focused on the things
that the Gen-Xers grew up with, i.e., a bit of nostolgia for us. Yes, we
aren't that old, but somehow it seems that I keep overhearing groups waxing
about how much they miss the things of their youth - the music, the
television shows, the toys (yes, consumerism started young). (The play
(series of plays?) "The Real Live Brady Bunch," with different episodes
every week, seemed to do really well - and friends who attended really
enjoyed it). Just don't over do it - you'll chase everyone else away.