From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 01:52:15 +0000
Tomislav Soloa is at the University in Zagreb, Croatia, not Sarajevo,
Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Sarajevo, BiH, is still in a desperate state so far as museums are
concerned.  There's no agreement on the part of the (deeply split) federal
government on any future for the National Museum - even if money was
offered from abroad. Though some of the most gross war damage to the
building "envelope" is now patched up, largely with foreign money there's
been little progress in other areas - particularly staffing.

Significant groupings in the parliament apparently hope it will never
re-open as such, but that instead the collections will be split up and
sent to the different "ethnic" centres.  I have quite recently told some
senior Sarajevo people quite frankly that I can't see any international
funding or aid body, public or private, being willing to put significant
money or resources in until there is evidence that the national government
is committed to re-establishing and re-opening the museum.

It's hard to see what an intern would learn in museum practice terms,
though someone majoring in social psychiatry or ethinc hatred would pick
up much case study material...

Patrick Boylan