From:
Tijl Vereenooghe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:15:04 +0100
EPOCH is a network of about hundred European institutions, joining forces
to improve the quality and effectiveness of Information and Communication
Technology for Cultural Heritage. Participants include university
departments, research centres, museums, national heritage agencies, and
commercial enterprises, together endeavouring to overcome the fragmentation
of current research in this field. More information is available at the
EPOCH home page: http://www.epoch-net.org.

In this initial stage of the network’s activities EPOCH tries to build up
an inventory of available / existing technologies according to the
following categories:

1.      multi-lingual and semantic data processing
2.      databases and technology management
3.      mobile-wearable-ambient systems
4.      recording and data representation aspects
5.      visualisation and rendering
6.      multi-modal interfaces
7.      virtual human and other avatar technologies

Based on the seven functional areas and five “heritage” dimensions, a
matrix was defined. Key words were assigned to each of the cells of the
matrix, which form the departure point for building up a list of available
tools and clustering them in logical groups. This activity aims at
establishing and maintaining a common infrastructure, which will form a
substrate upon which to build particular end-user applications and
showcases. This activity will define the architecture, components and
design guidelines for this common infrastructure. The goal is the creation
of integrated pipelines for producing applications involving digital
versions of tangible cultural heritage.

The preliminary matrix of tools can be found at
http://perswww.kuleuven.ac.be/~u0036544/tools/epochmatrix.html

Now, the EPOCH partners kindly invite all professionals in the field of
cultural heritage to contribute to the overview of relevant tools. As
stakeholder needs are of the utmost importance, we would like to invite not
only technologists, but every professional in the CH field to give their
opinion about the available tools. Have you ever used some of these
technologies, please share your thoughts and comments about them with us.
Which tools did you use? What did work out well for your application, what
is still missing? Only with your help we will be able to critically assess
the digital technologies and select the most promising ones to include in
our common infrastructure. You would also help us to determine where
additional R&D efforts are needed and thus to optimise our investment of
resources.

All additions to our provisional list are greatly appreciated. If you are
aware of existing tools not mentioned in the list, please let us know. More
in-depth information about tools, comments on their quality, references of
use within cultural heritage, personal experiences… are all very welcome.
Do not hesitate to tell us what you as a stakeholder expect from the
technology in your field of work. What kind of tools should technologists
develop? What are your thoughts about the current use of digital
technologies in cultural heritage?

You can send all information to Tijl Vereenooghe (K.U.Leuven):

Thanks for considering this. We realise your time is valuable!